Director, Financial Intelligence Unit – PayPal
The Director of Financial Intelligence will design and lead PayPal's efforts to ensure compliance with anti money laundering laws across the 190 countries in which PayPal does business globally. This role will build upon an existing core team responsible for planning and implementing the strategy for AML transaction monitoring, using the Norkom system, and teaming with the PayPal anti Fraud and Risk Management teams to leverage extensive analytics used to flag suspicious activity.
The position will report directly to the global VP-Anti Money Laundering/Anti-Corruption, directly supervising a team within Compliance but also dotted line providing direction to several hundred Compliance Operations FTE who perform transaction monitoring functions.
Core duties will include:
The successful candidate must have:
1. Deep knowledge of financial institution, money service business, and/or banking compliance anti money laundering and transaction monitoring processes, investigative protocols, and systems.
2. Seasoned people leadership, communication and negotiation skills, including experience in building and coaching a world class team, preferably internationally.
3. Operations and systems installation experience.
4. Strong problem solving and operational process skills and attention to detail.
5. Excellent ability to analyze Compliance risks in complex business processes, and recommend controls to mitigate those risks.
6. Excellent presentation and project management skills with the ability to successfully work multiple issues at one time.
7. Extensive experience with regulators and the regulatory exam process, ideally for money service businesses or money transmitters and in the AML context.
8. High energy and creativity, an entrepreneurial spirit and the desire to work in a fast growth and changing environment.
9. Ability to work within a matrixed environment and cross functionally with operations and technology functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- BA Degree in related field required with Masters preferred.
- 14+ years of anti money laundering compliance and management experience within a large financial institution, preferably a chartered bank or bank holding company.
- Detailed familiarity with the Bank Secrecy Act, Suspicious Activity Reporting, and Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) requirements,
- Regulatory, Legal, and six sigma experiences are highly desirable.